Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Why Do We Want To Adopt?

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" — Romans 8:15
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:26-27
Of Course not everyone is called to adopt. We all have our gifts. The way we share with the world. 1 Cor 12 is clear on how important all our gifts are when we use them as a unified body.
However, I have known for a very long time that adoption was a large part of me. I have what I call the "adoption gene."
It all started a long time ago in a little town called Heidelburg, Germany. I (Angel) was an army brat overseas and attended a youth group in a nearby town. The youth ministers were Todd and Karla and they were amazing. While they were in Germany they adopted a baby boy from Romania. They named him Caleb. He was like the youth group baby or something. He was always around and such a joy. From that point in time I knew that God was calling me to adopt. Where would Caleb have been if Todd and Karla hadn't taken that leap of faith? What joy and growth would they have missed if they hadn't had such amazing courage. They changed their lives. They changed a little boy's life. They changed my life. They changed the life of the baby we will adopt..... The ripple effect of their faith goes on and on. I've been out of touch with them for years but I pray that someday they know what a profound impact they have had on me. Todd and Karla if you see this let me know!!! I love you both.
So needless to say the question of adoption actually became part of my dating criteria. Along with the question, "So what is your major?" I would ever so casually slip in the question, "So what do you think of adoption??" Russ was very open to adoption AND he hates seafood so I knew we were a match made in heaven!!! :0)
We don't see adoption as a "plan B" only to be made by those experiencing infertility. I am so grateful for this opportunity. According to my faith God treasures adoption and chose to adopt us as His own children. He also chose for his son Jesus to be "adopted" by Joseph. Joseph raised Jesus as his son although he was not biologically linked to him. I feel honored to have an opportunity to experience God's heart for adoption.
John 1:12 – “But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name.”
Ephesians 1:5, “…having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,”
This is a website of a wonderful agency. They have so much wonderful info that truly expresses my heart on adoption. We chose another agency based on country and post adoption support but we have great respect for America World. In fact Steven Curtis Chapman adopted through them from China several times!
If you want to check out our WONDERFUL agency Dillon International here is the link

No comments: